NEVER LEAVE YOUR COOKING UNATTENDED URGES FIRE SERVICE

NEVER LEAVE YOUR COOKING UNATTENDED URGES FIRE SERVICE

FIREFIGHTERS across Greater Manchester are urging people to never leave their cooking unattended to minimise the risk of fire.

The call from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service comes following an incident in Altrincham caused by unattended cooking.

Three crews from Altrincham, Sale and Stretford were called to a semi-detached house on Barlow Road, Altrincham, at 6.16pm on Wednesday, March 6.

On arrival firefighters rescued the female occupier and dealt with the food smoking in the oven.

Paul Etches, Head of Prevention at GMFRS, said: “Thanks to a working smoke alarm this incident saw no injuries and thankfully did not develop into something much worse.

“It only takes seconds for a fire to start so the importance of a working smoke alarm cannot be overstated.

“Never leave your cooking unattended as the consequences may be severe.

“Make sure you test your smoke alarm. It may save your life.”

A specialist trauma technician assessed the lady who suffered no injuries.

Firefighters were on the scene for approximately 30 minutes.

 

If your pan catches fire when cooking:

  • Don’t panic and don’t take risks
  • Don’t move the pan
  • If it’s safe to do so, turn off the heat – but never lean over the pan to do so
  • Leave the kitchen, close the door behind you, get everyone out and don’t go back inside
  • Call 999

For more information on cooking safety visit the safety section of the GMFRS website: https://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/staying-safe/what-we-do/fire-safety-at-home/safety-in-the-kitchen/