KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR COOKING AND TEST YOUR SMOKE ALARM –...

KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR COOKING AND TEST YOUR SMOKE ALARM – URGES FIRE SERVICE

FIREFIGHTERS are calling on people to keep an eye on their cooking and make sure their smoke alarms are working following two kitchen fires.

Crews from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service were called to the fires in Manchester and Salford on Thursday night.

In Manchester, firefighters from Gorton and Philips Park attended an incident at 8.51pm at a terraced house on Parkin Street where the occupier had fallen asleep after putting a pan on the stove.

Due to a working smoke alarm the man woke up and called 999.

The fire was out on arrival but the man was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation by ambulance crews while firefighters ventilated his house.

In Salford, two crews from Salford were called to an incident at 11.30pm in a terraced house on Kerrera Drive where the occupier had left a grill pan unattended.

The occupier was alerted to the fire by their working smoke alarm.

A specialist trauma technician gave the occupier first aid and advice on cooking safety.

Firefighters were on scene for approximately 30 minutes and made sure the fire was out using a thermal imaging camera.

Paul Etches, Head of Prevention at GMFRS, said: “These incidents highlight how important it is to keep an eye on your cooking at all times and to make sure your smoke alarm works.

“It only takes a second for a fire to start and if left unattended the consequences could be severe.

“Never leave your cooking unattended and make sure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home.”

If your pan catches fire when cooking:

  • Don’t panic and don’t take risks
  • Don’t move the pan
  • If it’s safe to do so, turn off the heat – but never lean over the pan to do so
  • Leave the kitchen, close the door behind you, get everyone out and don’t go back inside
  • Call 999

For more information on cooking safety visit the GMFRS websitehttps://manchesterfire.gov.uk/staying-safe/what-we-do/fire-safety-at-home/safety-in-the-kitchen/