HOLLINGWORTH REMEMBERS

HOLLINGWORTH REMEMBERS

The first mention of a public war memorial for Hollingworth was in March 1919 at a meeting of the General Purposes Committee of Hollingworth UDC. A War Memorial Committee was set up to raise money by public subscription to both provide a ‘Welcome Home Fund’ for returning veterans and a war memorial to those who had lost their lives.

A meeting in February 1926 resolved that the war memorial should be erected on Wedneshough Green, Hollingworth. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 14 March 1926 in a ceremony led by Lieutenant Colonel Sir JP Rhodes, BART DSO. It was erected at a cost of approximately £350, the money raised entirely by public subscription, including house to house collections, donations and the proceeds of social events.

During 2018 Hollingworth War Memorial has benefit from a restoration grant in response to an application by The Friends of Hollingworth community group who received £26,700 from the Heritage Lottery Fund for its village-wide ‘Lest We Forget’ project.

The project focused on the complete renovation and re-dedication of the War Memorial on Mottram Moor as well as a variety of community-led heritage activities to commemorate and remember the fallen soldiers of the village.

Marking the centenary of the end of the First World War, the inter-generational project will enable local people to come together to preserve and to pass on the memories and heritage of the people who lived through the First World War.

This Sunday; (11th November 2018) with Remembrance Sunday falling on the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War – as the nation falls silent and the clocks strike 11am, it is envisaged that thousands of people will turn out across the region to commemorate Remembrance Sunday, to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women involved in the two World Wars and later conflicts.