|A KITCHEN fire at a Wythenshawe home overnight forced a mother of two children to call Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS).
Crews responded to the call from a property on Penarth Road at 1.47am and three fire engines – two from Wythenshawe station and one from Withington – were quickly at the scene.
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus had to use a ventilation fan to clear the kitchen of smoke before battling the flames with an extinguisher.
The fire, caused by a chip pan left on a stove, had spread with the extractor fan above the range also catching alight.
The three occupants required treatment for smoke inhalation at the scene before being taken to Wythenshawe Hospital by North West Ambulance Service.
GMFRS were at the house for just over an hour.
Watch Manager at Wythenshawe station, Gareth Lover, said: “Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service responded swiftly once called and we were on the scene in less than 10 minutes. A mother in her forties and her two children, a girl in her twenties and a boy aged 11, were still at the house. We looked after them while we tackled the blaze – there was a significant amount of smoke and we understand attempts had been made before our arrival to extinguish the flames.
“Remember, if your pan catches fire the important thing is not to panic and not to take risks. Don’t move the pan, and never throw water or use a water fire extinguisher on a hot fat fire. If it’s safe to do so turn off the heat.
“Leave the kitchen, close the door behind you, tell everyone else in the home to get out and don’t go back inside for any reason. And call 999 immediately.”
Most house fires start in the kitchen. Please help us to keep you and your family safe by reading the information on the GMFRS website.