A Fire Engine turned up at Richmond Street Community Centre (RSCC) in Ashton this week – not to fight a fire, but to carry out fire safety with the Beavers, Cubs and Scouts that meet at the centre on Friday nights.
It did cause a bit of a shock for the RSCC treasurer Ken Marks, who was calling in for the rent!
Ken said, “I first thought RSCC was on fire when I turned up and saw the fire engine, but then saw the Scouts with the fire hoses.”
Amanda Clarke, Beaver Leader had arranged the visit as part of the Safety badge which also covers road safety, water safety, home safety, stranger danger and fire safety.
The Scouts learnt a lot from the firemen about fire dangers and safety, but the best part for the Scouts was having ago with the hose pipes.
One of the troops mothers texted Amanda after the Scout night saying her son had a brilliant time and sent her thanks to all the Leaders and firemen for the night and making her son’s year.
Apparently he had said on his way home,” I had the best night ever, I am sure my muscles have grown using the hose pipes!”
Scouting is not just about tying knots, but also helps to keep our young people safe and be aware of the ever changing dangers in the world.
If you would like to join or help Scouting contact firstname.lastname@example.org 07931765120 or go to www.gmescouts.org.uk and learn how to be safe in all our communities.